Damn Septic

The septic mound has been a giant source of frustration even before it was put it. (You can refer back to our house building posts if you have forgotten the drama of our lot only perking in one location causing us to have to build our house closer to the curb than the other houses in the development.) Once the septic mound was put in it continued to be an issue, because they left six PVC pipes sticking out of the ground on the top of the mound, which either had to be mowed around and then gone over with the push mower, or you could take your chances going over them with the riding mower and hope that they didn’t catch on the bottom of the mower and break off. (which requires digging out the pipe, sawing it off, and replacing the pipe – and usually requires a trip to the hardware as well for parts) This year I have taken on the task of mowing the lawn since Matt is allergic to all things outside and I am finally not pregnant for the first summer in four years. After telling Matthew that it is a waste of time to have to mow around those things and he should just cut them all off and put them down lower, only to have him agree with me but not get motivated to do so – I decided to take my chances and mow right over them. Fortunately for me, they didn’t get caught! That is… until today. Matt got the mower out of the shed and put the mower setting lower than usual. I had concerns when I started mowing cause I figured  since the grass was so high, cutting it on this lower setting was going to make piles of grass which I would then have to go out and rake, and it did. So, when it came to the mowing the septic mound, I should have raised the mower to the setting that I knew would go over the PVC pipes… but I didn’t cause I was in a hurry to get the grass cut knowing that I’d have to go out and rake afterwards, and sure enough one of the pipes broke off. I walked to the house dreading having to tell my dear husband (knowing that he had told me not to mow over the septic mound, there wasn’t too much I could say other than, oops!) I’d like to say he handled the news well, but not so much. He calmed down quickly though (afterall, he has done it at least twice himself!) and when I was done mowing he went out to do a temporary fix, until he could get to the hardware store the next day. After talking to our neighbor about it, he found out that there really is no reason to have them exposed at all, so he is finally going to redo them all (again) and bury them, so this will no longer be an issue. One more thing for the chore list…